Friday, April 22, 2011

Green Me Babe

So in the past year I've been a lot more focused on being green/eco-friendly. I use to think that recycling my plastic bags made me green, but I've taken it to a whole new level now. I use to think being more green meant more work and responsibility and who has time for that? However, I've learned that's not true. I've made some really simple changes that I think will make a difference and I hope they will inspire you to make small changes too. If we all do a little together we can do a lot, right? Some changes I've made include:

EDC (Every day carry):
Will ramble more about this bag of wonders later, but for now, know that I carry a hobo knife in it. A hobo knife is a folding pocket knife that has at least a fork, knife, and spoon, plus sometimes a corkscrew. This means that when I eat away from home I don't use plastic ware, which over a year, I can't imagine how much plastic that saves (I eat away from home a lot!). I also carry a clean handkerchief for clean up rather that be a runny nose, an oil leak, or a scraped up knee. This way I don't use disposable items. In addition, I carry reusable shopping bags clipped to my EDC. I never can remember to put reusable bags in my car or to bring them into the store with me. However, when I carry my EDC with me everywhere, I already have everything I could need with me, including my reusable bags. This is a link to the wonderful shrinking bags I use:

http://www.chicobag.com/p-16-chicobag-original.aspx

Recycling (duh):
I know it isn't easy for everyone. Here in Little Rock, if you live in an apartment you can't have a personal recycling bin so you have to deliver it to the recycling plant yourself (sucks!). However, places like Wal-Mart and Target have recycling bins and they will let you recycle your goods there. Don't be afraid to do so it's totally cool (I checked). Still, you may want to check with your local shops to be sure. Now that I have a house I have a bin I put out by the road. Did you know the flyer crap you get in the mail is recyclable? I didn't, but I recycle it now.

Bring your own containers:
I try (still working on the habit) to carry reusable plastic containers in my car so when I go out to eat I can use my containers for leftovers instead of using disposable containers. Again, I'm sure this cuts down on my go-out-to-eat waste. Of course, another green option for some, is to just eat all your food. Too...full... X.x ^.^

Reduce packaging:
So there are some things one has to have in a particular brand, like Cheez-It. Love Cheez-It! NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM *crackers everywhere...However, there are other things we don't care about, like trash bags. For the things I don't care about, I buy a brand that uses less packaging. For example, I buy trash bags that come in a roll without a box around them. There's just a tiny bit of sticky labeling to recycle instead of a whole box. What about those cereals that come in bags? They are cheaper and more green because there is no box. I don't eat cereal, but if I did, that would be a great way to go.

Use Method:
Method is a brand of cleaners that is focused on being eco-friendly. I like it because the cleaners are green and they smell good. If you don't like Method pick another eco-friendly brand. In any event, start looking for friendlier dish soaps, body washes, detergents, etc.

Reduce, reduce, reduce, aka: pay attention:
Just like dieting, reducing one's consumption is all about paying attention to how much you use. I ask myself, Amber, do you really need that much dish soap? Hand soap? TP? Do you really need to wash your jeans every time you wear them? In addition to saving the Earth, I save money, more money then I thought. Money saved means more fun for Amber. ^.^ Of course, I carpool as I can, walk to places, organize my errands so I travel the least distance. To save on gas in my car, I switch into neutral when waiting at stop lights. If I drove less aggressively I could save more money by slowly accelerating and driving slower but you know...

That's pretty much it for now. I'm aways looking for more ways to be green. Let me know if you have any ideas. There are a few things I'd like to do as time and money allows, but that's another ramble for another time, maybe in a couple of minutes. :)

1 comment:

  1. I would like to hear about this "EDC" of yours. You seem so excited about it... :P

    ReplyDelete